Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Chinese Ear Torture

So last Thursday I start to feel like the common cold is creeping up on me: I'm tired, my head hurts, my throat hurts and my right ear is starting to close up. I hate that feeling, by the way. I feel so helpless when my ear is clogged and I can't pop it. I'm walking around trying to yawn, making the craziest faces in the world, trying to contort my ear canal into releasing the pressure in there. Nothing worked. By 5 pm I was miserable. By 8 pm I was doing everything I could think of to make the pain go away. By 10 pm I was in my car going to the emergency room.
The doctor took one look in my ear and said, "You have a roaring ear infection." This is weird to me because I don't really remember the last time I had an ear infection - probably as a kid, but who knows. All that to say I have been experiencing what my normal doctor calls, "The worst ear infection he has ever seen in an adult." Yay!

I could gross you guys out with stories of blood dripping out of my ear non-stop onto my pillow at night or of my reaction to the super hardcore antibiotics they gave me ( I threw up 10 times in 5 hours), but I will spare you the gory details to let you know that I am miserable right now. I have had several of those moments where I say, "God, why don't you just heal me already? You could do it with a word...with a thought...with a sneeze!" I DO know that God's goodness doesn't change based on my circumstances - or the perforated state of my ear drum. The same God who has blessed me with everything good in my life is the same God who is going to carry me through this dumb ear infection.

...but it did feel kind of good to whine about it a little bit there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home