Tuesday, September 8, 2009

You Might Be Lazy If...

We have all heard of Jeff Foxworthy. You know - you might be a redneck if… Well, according to the book of Proverbs, you might be lazy if…

You hate work.
Proverbs 21:25 - Despite their desires, the lazy will come to ruin, for their hands refuse to work.
You love sleep.
Proverbs 26:24 - As a door swings back and forth on its hinges, so the lazy person turns over in bed.

This one is a no brainer. Loving sleep does not necessarily make you a lazy person, but – come on people, where there’s smoke there’s fire.
You are full of excuses.
Proverbs 26:13 - The lazy person claims, “There’s a lion on the road! Yes, I’m sure there’s a lion out there!”

Ever know someone who always had an excuse? I can’t mow because of my allergies. I can’t get a job because I have to focus on my schoolwork. I can't keep a job because my bosses are all jerks. I am getting bad grades because my teacher hates me. I can’t come to church on Sunday because I have to babysit at 3pm and I need to be emotionally ready for it. One word comes to mind when I think about people who have an excuse for everything – yuck. And if you are that person, let me tell you this...I love you, but you aren’t fooling anybody!
You think you got it all figured out.
Proverbs 26:16 - Lazy people consider themselves smarter than seven wise counselors.

And the attitude component of laziness comes out. It is not just a matter of not having the energy or desire to do things. There is an element of pride to laziness. It sounds something like this: I don’t need to put my dirty dishes in the sink. That’s what moms are for. Yes, my room is a disgusting mess but that’s only because I don’t need to waste my time on the small things in life when I am destined for so much greater things. I am special enough that I don’t need to work for anything. You guys should all be taking care of me! I don't really need to work hard because I just know better.
Did you check off one or more of those boxes? If you did, you might be lazy. Here's the antidote in one sentence:
Colossians 3:23-24 - Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord, not for people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home