Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Kindergarten Blues

Do you know that kind of sick, sad feeling you get when your kids are really scared, upset or worried about something and there is nothing you can do about it? Today was Calvin's second full day of Kindergarten. When I asked him last night how his first day went, he said, "Awesome!" Then he did a little action dance with his fists pumping in the air. This morning I took him back and all of a sudden he couldn't let go of me. His eyes got all red with tears and his mouth turned down as he tried not to cry, telling me, "I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you to Calvin, but I'll see you as soon as school is over," I said.

He didn't miss a beat with his reply. "But I'm not going to get to sit by you." And the tears in his eyes swelled up into beads that threatened to roll out at any second. He lined up with his class, and I watched as he marched into the school using every bit of his willpower to keep himself from really crying. And I felt every bit of the anxiety that he felt - new kid, new school, new neighborhood.

I know that tonight he will tell me how much he loved school as he sits on my lap and gives me a trademarked Calvin "Huggy & Kissy." I also know that tomorrow morning we will carry the weight of his anxiety again. But it will be a little lighter.

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbie Plankenhorn, Bloomington, IL Photographer said...

Oh my gosh! Sounds exactly like Jax 2nd day... He cried the 2nd day but not the first and told me it was because he just was going to miss me. It's so hard letting them go when they are scared. But we are teaching them that they can do it and they will find their inner strength.

August 25, 2010 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Momdenn said...

Vi is in K4 this year, so she only goes half a day. However, for the first WEEK, she cried b/c "she was going to miss me". After a couple weeks, she was proud to walk by herself and so excited to go to class. :-)

October 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home