Friday, May 25, 2012

Cracker barrel: The Title Bout

The bell rings and the title bout is on...

Round 1
I take the breakfast menu in hand and scroll through the items.  My eyes stop momentarily on the low calorie, low fat healthy choices to show that there might be a chance I will order one of them, but everyone knows that will never happen.  This is a heavyweight fight with the reigning champ: Momma's Pancake Breakfast.  I throw the first punch and order the three pancakes, two eggs over easy and two turkey sausage patties.

Round 2
I quickly season the eggs with salt and pepper before pounding them down.  They never stood a chance.  I take a few exploratory bites of the sausage to see how much of a fight it will give me.  I'm pacing myself and feel good about my odds of winning.

Round 3
Pancake time.  The one hundred percent maple syrup is my weakness because I need a lot of it.  But I know that going in and am mentally prepared.  The first pancake goes down swinging but never even lands a single punch.  I'm positive going into pancake number two.

Round 4
Somewhere in between pancake two and three, Momma landed a loaded punch to the gut.  It feels like I ate a bag of concrete with a whole milk chaser.  I'm punch drunk and can barely get the fork up to my mouth.  The waitress keeps refilling my coffee. Doesn't she know that I perfectly balanced the cream/sweetener/coffee ratio already!  I'm in a downward spiral.

Round 5
Momma takes a swift uppercut swing to my mouth with one of the last syrup soaked bites and the lights go out.  It's over...a total knock out.  I may leave the ring but Momma's delicious breakfast treats will be punishing me for the next few hours.

Post Fight Wrap-up
My eyes were bigger than my stomach, which put up a noble fight.  I am already thinking ahead to next time, but there is a nagging thought that keeps ringing in my ears like the bell that ended the bout:
It's not good to eat too much honey, and it's not good to seek honors for yourself.
Proverbs 25:27
I walk out of the locker room knowing two things - there is such a thing as too many pancakes, and picking fights for the glory of victory will only leave you disgraced with a stomach ache.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home