Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Billboard

I love music. There was a point in my life where I would have said my whole life was about music: writing it, recording it, performing it. There is probably nothing else in the world that communicates so universally. I could probably go to any nation in the world, stand in a crowded room and shout, "Who let the dogs out?!?" and half the room would shout back, "Who, who, who, who!" Music has a way of sinking into our souls, into our consciousness. It defines us. When I meet someone new, as an icebreaker I almost always ask what kind of music they like (I've actually found that it's better to ask them what their top five albums of all time are, not including compilations unless it is a soundtrack). It tells me more about who that person is and wants to be in one sentence than just about anything else they could say.

Music also has a lot to tell us about the world we live in. What are our favorite artists singing about? What topics are addressed on the radio? What questions are the artists of our generation asking? It's good to know because they are probably the same questions the person sitting next to you at school are asking. They are probably the same questiosn your co-worker at Fed-Ex Office (or Fed-O's as I like to call it) are asking. The great thing about questions is that there are always answers, and all the answers can be found in God's word. The Bible is an infinite resource of truth ready to answer the tough questions in our culture and in our hearts. I hope that your music is making you think about the tough questions. I also hope that you are looking to God for the answers. They are there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home