Thursday, February 5, 2009

Self Evaluation

For me a new year brings with it a sense of renewed purpose, a fresh chance to get things right. I can't look back at a previous year and not identify things that I wish I would have done better. When it comes to my own performance, I am a harsh critic. There are probably very few of my failings you could point out that I am not already very aware of. Probably.

If I was to be completely honest I would admit that I have blind spots. I've got gaps in my ability to self evaluate and I can miss things in myself that I would want to get rid of if I picked them up in an honest evaluation. For example, if I were to take a step back and get a completely objective view of myself I would realize that I have a habit of relentlessly and ruthlessly making fun of Twilight to the people who love it dearly (even now I am practically having to break my own fingers to keep from writing all the witty comments that are coming to mind). But some people really love that beautiful novel of love and romance, so it would probably do me good to just shut up once in a while. Besides, I love my share of stuff that many people would think incredibly stupid (the movie Screamers).

I say all this because I am in a period of reflection and self evaluation right now. Where am I? How did I get here? Where do I want to be? What do I need to do better? It's a good place to be because if we can't take a clear and honest look at ourselves we can never identify and deal with what is holding us back. In one of my favorite passages, the Bible puts it better than I ever could:

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you and lead me along the path of everlasting life.
Psalm 139:23-24


What about you? Ready to take a look?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home