Friday, April 17, 2009

Break-in Blues

You know that sick feeling you get when you can't find your wallet? You know, the one where it feels like a can of cheese whiz just broke open inside your stomach? I experienced that sensation this week when I realized one morning that my wallet was completely missing. I figured that it fell out of my jacket pocket when I was getting out of the car somewhere. Frustrated, I began the process of cancelling all my cards (well actually Terri began that process - I sat and wept into my open hands). It got more frustrating.

After trying to figure out where I had seen my wallet last, Terri and I began to put together some puzzle pieces. She got up early in the morning to put some clothes in the dryer and discovered that both of our garage doors were wide open to the world. She thought I had done it, chalked it up to me being dumb sometimes, closed the doors and didn't say anything about it. Similarly, when I went down to the garage to go to work I noticed that one of the overhead lights in Terri's van was on. I thought she had left it on, chalked it up to her being forgetful sometimes, turned off the light and didn't say anything about it. When I got around to my car I saw that the driver's side door was slightly ajar. I laughed at how absentminded both of us must be to leave our cars like that overnight and drove to work.

A few hours later Terri called me to ask if I had gone to the car wash this morning...twice. When I told her that I hadn't we began to get a sinking feeling that someone had found and was using my wallet. Terri called the police who told her that they'd had numerous reports of garage doors being open from our neighborhood.

If you haven't figured this out yet, let me break it down for you. Someone managed to open our electric garage doors in the middle of the night, broke into both our cars and stole my wallet and ipod. I think the part that makes me the sickest is that they could have walked right into our house while we slept and done whatever they wanted. Yeah...think about that for a second. Doesn't feel good running across your imagination, does it? Me either.

One positive about the whole thing; my wallet was getting a little bloated and uncomfortable in my back pocket. Having been relieved of much of it's weight, it is now slim and trim. Much easier to sit on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home