Friday, June 6, 2008

I'm Sorry

I used to play in a band professionally. Back then it was the show that mattered – nothing else. The sound check, the t-shirts and stickers, the miles and miles of travel…they were a part of it, but it was 45 minutes of stage time that mattered. Being a youth pastor, it is hard sometimes for me to separate that mentality from what I am doing in ministry. It is easy for me to get so involved in the details of The Creek service that I forget the real reason we have it: people. You guys are the reason we have The Creek. It is not so that you can be entertained with the best music and light show ever. It is not so that we can all laugh at someone doing a game that makes them look really stupid (although I do love that). The Creek exists so that students can know God. That’s it.

If I have walked past you on my way to fix a problem with the sound, I’m sorry. If I didn’t talk to you when you needed me to because I was scrambling to get service started on time, I’m sorry. If I didn’t show you the love of Christ because I was worried about things going wrong, I’m sorry. The show doesn’t matter…you do. I love you and shame on me if I show you what’s on my mind instead of what’s on my heart.

The good news is that even though I may fail, God’s love never does. He is always there. Psalm 118 says it best, “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever.” His love never fails, never lets us down and never ceases. He is there every second of every hour, night and day. I want to be like that. I hope you do too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home