Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Missed Wednesday

I'm sitting here on the couch in my parents house, the house that I grew up in. We are on vacation in Illinois and tonight is the first Wednesday night that there has ever been a Creek service without me there. I have mixed feelings about it. I am kind of bummed out that I missed it. I love Wednesday nights. I love seeing everyone at The Creek - teasing those who need to be teased, high fiving those who have not been high fived enough, talking to students who I haven't gotten to know yet - I love it. You know how it feels when your friends go on vacation or go on a school trip without you, and you know that they are having a great time making jokes and creating new memories without you? That's how I feel right now. The Creek is like my second family and when I'm not there I feel like I'm missing all the good stuff.

On the other hand, I am beyond happy that there are people who care enough about The Creek and the students who are part of it to make it happen even when I'm gone. I think of Dan Taylor who God has blessed with a unique ability to sing and lead worship. I think of Kerri Buck who takes care of the details of attendance and sets up our information table. I think of Jodie Wolfe who has pushed more couches into place than all the dudes in our youth group combined. I think of Dan Harris who is just at the beginning of his journey into ministry but is jumping in feet first because he loves The Creek. There are more, and if I left you out it was only because my hands are cramping up from typing all this praise.

I miss pre-service prayer - pressing into the presence of God with students and leaders who are passionate and excited about calling on him to make a difference in the lives of every person who darkens our doorway. I miss the power of lifting our requests to God who loves us so much that even our most shallow requests are of huge importance to him. I miss worshipping him with the group of people that I care about so much.

Even as I put all these thoughts down in lines of letters, it occurs to me that I am very blessed. Not with talent or money or fame or ability, but with you guys. I really love you guys. I love that God smashed us together like peanut butter and jelly* because he knew we would be delicious together.

* Have you ever thought about the first person to put peanut butter and jelly together? What made him think it would be such a delicious combination? I don't know who it was or when it happened, but somebody needs to put some flowers on his tombstone. He's a hero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home