Monday, August 4, 2008

Star Trek vs. Star Wars

So recently, during a Sunday morning message, I went out on a limb and made a huge declaration: Star Trek is better than Star Wars. Before you do a spit take with whatever zesty beverage you are sipping as you read this and shout, "Say What!" lets take a moment to examine some important factors.
  1. This is totally and completely a statement of opinion. Whether it is informed opinion or not is subject to the reader.
  2. On an hour by hour basis, Star Trek has a drastically larger body of work with which to be evaluated. Statistically, one bad Star Wars movie equals twenty bad Star Trek tv episodes and one bad movie. Conversely, this gives Star Trek hundreds of opportunities to create a better series. Let's illustrate this: If I write 50 songs and 20 of them are awful, my body of work is statistically better than a person who has written 6 songs of which 3 are amazing and 3 are awful. It's math...ask a teacher if you gotta.
  3. Star Trek exists in a world much more similar to ours and has a greater opportunity to tell more and different types of stories. This is a big one because I think science fiction is one of the greatest ways to tell stories about humanity in interesting and creative ways. Sue me, I'm a nerd.
  4. Almost anyone will watch Star Wars, but I got my sci-fi hating wife into Star Trek*. Let me repeat that. I got my sci-fi hating wife into Star Trek! I know she mostly did it to show me that she loves me, and Terri is wonderful, but this is HUGE!!! It's like getting a civilian to enjoy reading IRS audit reports. She loves me...
To all my Star Wars loving friends: I also love Star Wars. Liking Star Trek better does not diminish the awesomeness of Star Wars. We can still be friends, right? Right? Come on...

*Terri asked me to clarify that she likes The Next Generation, Voyager and Enterprise. She does not prefer the original series. Sorry Spock.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren Liberty said...

wow...i can't believe you just dedicated an entire blog to star trek.
i still like star wars :]

August 5, 2008 at 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BSG.

February 17, 2009 at 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home